Breathing. It is something we all do. Every minute of every day. In fact, I would say we do it so much we often take it for granted.
But in the same breath, I would also say breathing is one of the most important things we can do for reducing stress and improving our overall heath.
If you are currently experiencing any stressors or anxiety in your life, I have a friendly and doable challenge for you that only takes one minute a day.
- Find a quiet place free of inquisitive pets, needy kids and anything that beeps or interrupts you.
- Most of us breathe from our sternum. When practicing mindful breathing, try breathing deeper and from your belly.
- Inhale to a count of 3, 4 or 5. Exhale to a count of 3, 4 or 5.
- Set a timer for 1 minute, close your eyes, and just focus on your breath.
- If, or rather when, your mind wonders don’t worry about it. Just redirect yourself to your breath.
- Try this mindful breathing technique every day for one week.
—Becca Edwards, founder of Female IQ