According to Professor Laurie Santos of Yale University, “Savoring is the act of stepping outside of an experience to review and appreciate it. Often we fail to stay in the moment and really enjoy what we’re experiencing. Savoring intensifies and lengthens the positive emotions that come with doing something you love.”
Going into the New Year, Female IQ wants to challenge you to practice the art of savoring by picking one experience to truly savor each day.
Examples of Savoring:
- Soaking in a bubble bath.
- Taking your time to eat a delicious meal.
- Breaking from work or your to-do list to walk outside.
- Slowly brushing your hair or teeth.
Professor Santos advises, “When you take part in this savored experience, be sure to practice some common techniques that enhance savoring. “
Techniques to Savoring:
- Sharing the experience with another person.
- Thinking about how lucky you are to enjoy such an amazing moment.
- Keeping a souvenir or photo of that activity.
- Making sure you stay in the present moment the entire time.
—Becca Edwards, founder of Female IQ