Growing up my father would make shepherd’s pie every Sunday night. It was his signature dish and, as a child, I remember him rolling up his sleeves and making the piecrust from scratch.
Now that I have my own family, I have continued the tradition but with a healthy twist. Instead of white potatoes I use organic mashed cauliflower. I forgo the piecrust. And rather than ground beef I prefer a lean protein like organic ground turkey (although you can also use vegan options like Beyond Meat). I also protein up by using cottage cheese and sometimes substitute edamame for frozen peas.
Healthy Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 head of organic cauliflower
- 1 pound organic ground turkey
- 16 ounces of organic cottage cheese
- 1 bag of frozen peas or edamame
- 1 small onion
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Thaw frozen peas or edamame.
- Dice and sauté onion.
- Add meat to onion and cook until brown.
- Cut cauliflower and steam until fork tender.
- In a blender, combine steamed cauliflower, cottage cheese, cumin, garlic powder, and salt and pepper.
- In a cooking dish, combine cauliflower mixture, peas/edamame, and onion-meat mixture.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Cook for 15 minutes (or until cheese melts)
- Let cool for 5 minutes.
—Becca Edwards, founder of Female IQ